Everyone wants to have a bright, white smile which is why many people head to a drug store and pick up an at-home whitening kit. This is not a bad thing to do; however, if you have experienced any gum or tooth sensitivity from doing this, it is a good idea to schedule an appointment to get your teeth professionally whitened by a dentist. Keep reading to learn more about both at-home whitening products and professional whitening services.
Common Causes of Teeth Discoloration
- Certain Foods or Beverages: Typically coffee, tea, red wine
- Smoking: Tobacco is known to cause yellowing and discoloration on teeth in addition to many different oral health problems.
- Bad Oral Hygiene: irregular brushing/ flossing can cause discoloration on teeth. Infrequent visits to the dentist for cleaning can cause discoloration as well.
- Certain Medications: Some medications have tooth discoloration as a side effect.
At-Home Teeth Whitening
A benefit to using an at-home tooth whitening product and why many people use these is because they are relatively inexpensive and easy to use. Many of these products can be found at a local drugstore such as CVS or Walgreens, making them convenient. However, one major downfall to these different whitening products is that they are not custom-made for your teeth. This means that they are more likely to irritate your gums and cause tooth sensitivity. It is also important if you choose to use an at-home product that you read and follow the directions carefully not to damage your teeth and gums.
Common At-Home Whitening Products:
- Whitening Toothpaste- Toothpaste that you use every time you brush your teeth. This toothpaste contains ingredients that are supposed to remove stubborn stains. Results are not instant and happen over time.
- Whitening Strips- Strips that stick to your teeth that you wear for a certain period of time for a certain number of days until you see the results you desire.
- Whitening Trays- A tray that is filled with whitening gel that you place over your teeth.
Professional Tooth Whitening Services
A big benefit from professional tooth whitening services offered at dental offices is that after consulting with a dentist, they will provide you with tooth whitening options personalized to your mouth and your teeth. Dentists will factor in gum sensitivity, teeth sensitivity, and the health of your teeth. Relying on a professional for tooth whitening can help you achieve the results you want quickly and with no sensitivity.
Contact A Dentist
At Dr. Emma Wu & Associates Dentistry & Aesthetics, we provide professional tooth whitening services along with a large selection of other cosmetic options to help patients get the smile they want. If you are interested in any of our cosmetic options or want professional teeth whitening, please contact one of our offices today!