A Gentle, Safe Tooth Extraction Can Protect Your Oral Health
A tooth extraction becomes necessary when a filling, crown, or other restorative treatment cannot fix a badly damaged or decayed tooth. When a tooth in this condition is left untreated, it can lead to extreme pain and cause further oral health issues. Dr. Emma Wu is highly attentive of your comfort and uses advanced techniques to avoid any discomfort at our North Andover MA, practice.
Why a Tooth Extraction May Be Necessary
Common reasons for tooth extractions include:
- A severely decayed tooth unable to be treated with a dental filling
- A cracked or broken tooth with damage extending below the gum line
- Wisdom teeth that are impacted, causing pain and other complications
- Overly crowded or misaligned teeth that cannot be addressed with orthodontia
- Primary teeth preventing the growth of permanent teeth
- Loose teeth that have been affected by advanced gum disease
Although Dr. Wu will always do her best to maintain your natural teeth, extraction is sometimes necessary to preserve your overall oral and physical health.
The Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dr. Wu can perform both simple and complex tooth extractions. Before undergoing treatment, she will perform a series of x-rays to assess the extent of damage and determine the best treatment solution for your unique needs.
Teeth that have erupted and are visible above the gum line can typically be removed with a simple extraction. Dr. Wu will first numb the tooth and gums with a local anesthetic. Once the tooth and surrounding tissues are numb, Dr. Wu will use a handheld instrument known as an elevator to grasp the tooth. After gently shifting the tooth back and forth to loosen it, she will carefully lift it from the socket. Once removed, she will apply pressure with gauze to reduce bleeding, and if necessary, close the gap with dissolvable sutures.
When a tooth is impacted, a more complex extraction is generally required. During this procedure, Dr. Wu will make an incision above the impacted tooth. To gain better access to the tooth, some soft and hard tissue may first need to be removed. Our advanced dental lasers make this a more gentle, precise, and comfortable procedure. After accessing the tooth, Dr. Wu will use the same dental instruments used for a simple extraction to gently loosen and remove the tooth. Once the tooth is lifted from the socket, dissolvable sutures will be used to close the incision and gauze applied to eliminate bleeding.
If you are experiencing significant dental pain in a tooth that has been previously repaired with a dental filling or dental crown, an extraction may be necessary.
Why Replacing Your Extracted Tooth is Important
- After you have adequately healed, it is important to replace your tooth as soon as possible with a customized restoration to prevent serious complications, such as:
- Shifts in remaining teeth
- Jawbone degeneration and changes in facial structure
- Misalignment and malocclusion, leading to bite conditions and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder
Dr. Wu provides a range of restorative treatments to replace missing teeth, including state-of-the-art dental implants.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you are experiencing significant dental pain in a tooth that has been previously repaired with a dental filling or dental crown, an extraction may be necessary. Dr. Wu is extremely qualified in providing a tooth extraction to help preserve your oral health. Contact our office online today or by calling (978) 774-0725 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Wu.